Friday, September 5, 2008

What does Feste want?

Over the past week I’ve been having a hard time centering my exact objective and worldview. I was toying with the thought of “to make as much money as possible and get the hell out of here” and “to make these people need me as much as possible” and ultimately “to ensure genuine happiness among my friends.” I enjoy the last objective the most. In fact, I randomly came across a quote by Dr. Ed Friedlander who hosts a Shakespeare research website. He says about my role, “Life is full of sadness. The best years of life are short. Events are cruel. And other people are cruel. In such a world, it is your DUTY to find and cherish whatever real happiness you can.” THIS is Feste’s mantra…this helps a lot when deciding on my subtext. Also interesting that the two closest synonyms for ‘happiness’ are ‘felicity’ (quality or state of being happy) and ‘aptness’ (fitted, qualified, serving a purpose).

No comments: