Friday, September 12, 2008

missed connections

Goodnight My Somebody

I planned to be a writer someday but you already knew who you were. I was beautiful but too modest to possess the confidence that beauty permitted. You were strong and handsome and I treated you as if you were too good for me. I never said I loved you but I am sure you could see it when I looked at you and feel it when we kissed. Age and wisdom have taught me that your strength was my weakness and that very weakness was my downfall in your eyes.
For some reason I find it necessary to tell you now that I only seemed unsure of myself because I never fell for somebody as hard as I was falling for you. You never called that night we had plans. I never called you after that. It may have looked as if I were insecure, but at the absolute minimum I believe I deserve to be with somebody who wants to be with me. The fact that you didn't call me said all you had to say.
My suspicion is that you are married now. Since I have neither heard from nor pursued you since the last we met, it is strictly a suspicion. Still, somehow I know that you aren't happily involved with her, because you settled. She seemed normal and secure and after me, you thought she possessed the important qualities. The thing is, women looking for marriage know how to play the game. And women looking for a true relationship go into it as themselves. My cards were on the table and you tried to make me regret showing my hand. Now you think of me and fall asleep beside her.
I still plan to be a writer. You are still strong and handsome. I was never insecure and you know that now. If only once, I had fallen asleep in your arms, perhaps you wouldn't have let go

No comments: