Monday, September 1, 2008

Feste's thoughts on 'ONCE'



Matt asked us to take a look at the movie ONCE, and thank goodness. What a movie. I second Frank’s comment about loving the music in our piece, and the same can be said for this movie. The lyrics and melodies of the songwriters are completely relevant in the character’s lives, just as Kate Rusby’s music is in our play. The story revolves around two characters, guy and girl, who meet each other on the street and pursue a friendship through music…both guy and girl have backstories of loss (sound familiar?). While this loss fuels the beauty of their music, it also makes their ability to have a romantic relationship together very difficult. I think girl’s complication can be related to Orsino’s love for Olivia, while guy’s complication can be related to Viola’s love for Orsino and, in a way, Feste’s love for Olivia. Without giving too much away, I was frustrated throughout this movie because I wanted girl and guy to be together SO BADLY! I want our audience to feel that way about Viola and Orsino.
Please check out the trailer below for a glimpse of the movie…I will be returning it to the Hunt Library tomorrow so you guys can check it out if you’d like!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6xIF92OUos

No comments: