Saturday, September 27, 2008

Opening Day...

Well, having not been in a show that was rehearsed for longer than a week in three years, I was pretty pumped. I'm not quite sure if I was nervous, or excited, or terrified, or what, but I was a little apprehensive about having an audience - especially one that is so close to the playing space.

One of the things I have been working on in the latter part this process was not thinking ahead to where I'm supposed to be next and what my next line is. I was so afraid of messing up that I was sacrificing spontaneity and being in the moment to assure I didn't drop a line. I promised myself that the last couple of rehearsals I would force myself to not think ahead and see what happened. I was terrified, however, to bring this to our opening performance. I wasn't sure how an audience would effect me. To my surprise, the audience didn't throw me nearly as much as I thought it would. After giving "what think you saylors?" to them, they became a part of the show. I was able to let go and be in the moment with my fellow actors rather than delivering a line and then prodding myself for the next one. It's actually kind of terrifying for me to do this, but extremely rewarding.

I also noticed at yesterday's performance a habit that I have. I very often exhale all of my energy and sometimes throw away impulses with it. It came to my attention yesterday when every time I exited the stage I gave a great big sigh/huff. Don has been giving me this note for a while now, but I never really understood what he meant until now.

My goal for yesterday's performance was to stay in the moment. For today, it is to keep that and to not push (as Matt was saying yesterday), but to give as much energy and resonance that is needed. Break a Leg all!

-Katie

No comments: