Monday, September 15, 2008

Orsino's 'Super' Objective


(Super as in "I'm Awesome")

I've been playing around with Orsino's super objective for a few weeks. It's slowly been changing from, "I want some one to love me" to a more specific, "I want some one to reciprocate the amount of love I have to give" to the unsuccessful, "I want some one to make me a sandwich." All of these ideas I've played with haven't felt really beneficial or strong or specific enough choices to really drive my intention throughout the play. But like a lightning bolt striking Sean Patrick Flannery in the film "Powder" I realized what my super objective is: "To have a family." This correlates perfectly with my back story being that of a boy who spent his life being raised by house servants and ascending to power before he became a man and grew to know his family. He sees Olivia for her status and beauty and believes that she is the perfect puzzle piece to fit in with his need for a family. By being with her he believes she can create the family he never had, because his servants (like !
that asshole Valentine) are not sufficient to what Orsino wants.

I've also included a picture of Paul Rudd when he played Orsino in Lincoln Center in 1999. I've included the picture for two reasons: the style of Paul Rudd's costume is eerily similar to my choice for my first scene, and I love Paul Rudd and one day would like to play his little brother in a film.

No comments: