Thursday, September 25, 2008

A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the Theater

Yesterdays run in the space was very hit and miss for me. There were moments where I was totally and completely "in" the show and other moments where all I could think of was "What's my next line?" or "Stop making that weird face!" One of the problems last night that gave me a solution (hopefully) for our next run was Act V. Throughout the process thus far, most of Act V has given me problems from what my state is at the top to the confusion/reveals section later. I have been having trouble with Viola's reactions to everything she is getting blamed for. Of coarse she is confused and of coarse she is upset, but as an actor, I have felt like I have been belaboring my reactions. I want to just argue with everybody and ask them what the hell they are talking about, but since I have no lines. . . no go. After thinking long and hard (and having an all of 30- second but oh, so helpful conversation with Amanda), I came to the conclusion that I don't really have to "do" anything - th!
at is, I don't need to huff and puff and repeatedly throw my hands in the air to get the point across that I don't know what is going on. I just need to try and figure out why everybody has suddenly turned against me, and there it is. Oh, how simple answers look after you have spent so much time thinking about them! I also realized that my stakes need to be much higher at the beginning of Act V. Orsino is finally going to talk to Olivia and not only am I head over heels, no turning back in love with him, but he has no idea that Olivia is in love with me! Really, Act V is a phenominal lesson for me in truthfully reacting when you have long sections where you have no text. Thanks a bunch Act V (insert wink and tooth shine here)!!!

- Katie

No comments: