Thursday, September 25, 2008

To the Cast...

It is Thursday night, the night before we open. Today we did both a run thru with Matt and the band, followed in the evening by a company speed thru, with out Matt. The speed thru was somewhat successful – as a company we allowed ourselves the freedom to make bold, crazy silly choices that we might not otherwise make in order to play and stay free. This was good at the beginning, but as the run went on some company members lost focus. I think this is because it is really uncomfortable to find a place in which serious and silly, structure and abandon may coexist. However, it is exactly that which I think we, as actors must strive for.
I left tonight feeling incredibly grateful to be working with such a supportive, intuitive and brilliant cast of actors. I have rarely felt so excited and proud to tell a story as I am for tomorrow! I remember Matt sitting us down at the first rehearsal and telling us that the center of our process should be how fucking incredible this play is, and I think we have maintained that focus. I have fallen in love – and only wish we had a longer run to share our interpretation and discoveries of this tale. While there may be much better production’s of this show, more rehearsed, with greater budgets, and actual crews; what we have is so unique because it is a product of us – a combination of our minds, emotions, experiences – blood, sweat and definitely some tears. No matter how many times one or all of us goes on to do this production again (and we probably all will) it will never be the same! And it is this uniqueness that I know we will all honor and celebrate and share in our !
performances tomorrow afternoon and Saturday. Thank you guys for all ☺
- Olivia (BEKIE)

No comments: