Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sir Mandy...

So there was an article in the New York Times about Mandy Patinkin (Inigo Montoya from The Princess Bride) who is now playing Prospero at the Classic Stage Company. I know we have been grappling with being word-perfect with our text this week (and over the past few months, as well), and he had a quote in the article about what an undertaking it was for him to get the text into his mind and body:

'Memorizing the role, Mr. Patinkin said, was another challenge: "It took 10 weeks, three to four hours a day, walking all over the streets and in the park and the gym. Finally, I had the part of Prospero in my brain. And then I spent three months just walking around and thinking about it."'

So, yeah, I guess the bottom line is that this stuff takes wagon-loads of time and effort (at least for Mandy Patinkin). The article itself is pretty cool, as well, so I am attaching the link. See you all tonight!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/theater/14roth.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

- Sir Andrew

No comments: