Friday, September 12, 2008

Feste next episode




Today in Voice class with Joe, we did a really stimulating exercise that made me think of how to use the Rauh space with a sense of confidence.
We stood opposite a wall, just far enough away so that we could not touch it. We closed our eyes and Joe guided us through a series of events: sand under the toes, looking out on the horizon of the sea, preparing a canvas for painting, painting what we see, using the breath every time we would stroke, incorporating the entire body in the painting process, becoming the paint, noticing a storm in the distance, experiencing the storm, letting the storm die down, putting finishing touches on the painting while always including breath, and then rolling up our canvases and coming into the space, and opening our eyes,
I learned so much about personalization and specificity. By the time I finished my painting, I was so familiar with my image that I probably could have recreated it on an actual canvas. People were saying that they felt uninhibited…they were being active and seeing instead of being ‘the seen.’
I think that keeping this in mind will help me to find that ease that Matt talks about. The ability to simply stand in front of that audience as the character without actor tension.

No comments: