Friday, August 29, 2008

Sebastian's Playlist

Hey there everybody!
I decided that i would make a list of song's that bring up a certain emotion in me that Sebastian is going through. here are a couple and please let me know what you think. I'll explain each.

In the begining Sebastian comes in very upset and angry at the world for the injustice of having his sister stripped from him. The song "Bukowski" by Modest Mouse is perfect to explain this emotion through music. the stiffness and jolting Bass line is really good for the wringing that is going on inside. he feel's sick because of his lack of control.
"If God controls the land and disease
Keeps a watchful eye on me
If he's really so damn mighty
My problem is that I can't see
Well who'd want to be
Who'd want to be such a control freak?
Well who'd want to be
Who would want to be such a control freak?"

In the next scene the song "Lacrimosa" by Regina Spektor has a very sad and defeated feeling to it. alot of lightness but despair as well. The song and its rhythm remind me of the shallow breath that is used when going through a panic attack/ reminds me of spinning out of control.
"We keep on burying our dead
we keep on planting their bones in the ground
but they won't grow
the sun doesn't help
the rain doesn't help"

Sebastian has been burying his family since he first entered the world. Katie and i talked and im pretty sure we decided that our mother died in childbirth and had it only been one child she would have made it. Sebastian hold's himself responsible for her death. the Father died when they turned thirteen and now Viola has died.

"if you are but a dream"- Frank Sinatra

Sebastian always makes referenece to whats going on as if he is in a dream.

"or i am mad or else this is a dream
Let Fancie still em sense in lethe steepe
if it be thus to dream still let me sleep"

When he sets his eyes on Olivia for the first time i imagine this song playing.

"If you are but a dream
I hope I never waken,
It's more than I could bear
To find that I'm forsaken.

If you're a fantasy
Then I'm content to be
In love with lovely you,
And pray my dream comes true."

It really is so close to the actual text. but the music itself is what im interested in and its warmth and fluidity remind me of all the tension and grief leaving Sebastians body as he see's Olivia. is he REALLY in love with her? I'll get back to you on that!

No comments: