Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Feste here


A few days ago as I was driving back to Pittsburgh on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I tuned into a random radio station where Johnny Flynn, English actor and musician, was being interviewed. The woman interviewing him asked what his text was influenced by and he promptly answered, “Shakespeare.” When asked what characters inspired him the most, he told her that he was most intrigued by seeming background characters that tied plays together, like Feste, he said.
Here is some interesting stuff I found about him (I promise I will tie in how this effects my approach/discoveries at the bottom!)

*Already receiving rave re views across the musical spectrum, Johnny Flynn is proving quite a success. He has put his Shakespearian acting career on hold (having performed in Twelfth Night at the Old Vic) and is currently concentrating on his music.
Interviewer: I know you’re also an actor and have travelled companies performing Shakespeare, do the skills you develop as an actor, do they help you as a musician or are they two very separate crafts for you?
Johnny: They’re sort of abstractly linked in a way; all experience tends to bleed into other things. For me it’s like a sense of… stagecraft sounds contrived, but I mean just helping an atmosphere to create itself and helping you to relate to an audience. My firm belief has always been that good acting is not acting; it’s reacting, and so being in that place and being super aware can really help your music anyway because it’s all about communication.

"I Like Music because…when you are listening to music you can forget about the past or the future. JOHNNY FLYNN

On his album title: A Larum…
"The larum is also a warning bell, a call to arms. So it's a wake up call and an alarm, and a call to brings people together." Flynn hints at his thespian roots explaining yet another meaning. "A Larum is also a stage direction, 'A Larum Off' means that there is a commotion off stage, and I like to think that we are maybe the sound of the players just outside the main action."

Amanda again. I see some of Flynn in Feste. In many ways, Feste just as much an actor as he is a musician. I am picturing Feste as a guy who has lost love in many places (his father and a lover…possibly Olivia) and now seeks solace in his music. That is why tonight in rehearsal when we talked about our characters’ activities, I was thinking that Feste should be writing music or whittling a flute to devise his tunes. Not only does music bring Feste a sense of peace or escape, but it also gives him a way of providing for himself. The intention of getting money from his listeners is so clear, and I think that there needs to be a strong stake behind the need for it. What do I plan to do with the money? Of course, eat and live, but after I earn enough? Do I have bigger plans? This is something that I will be thinking about/looking to the text for in the next few days.
I think that Flynn’s quote about forgetting the past or the future rings true for Feste, who holds many burdens of his past and his anxiety of the future. I also think the former half of the “A Larum” quote illustrates Feste’s roll so well…a wake up caller.

No comments: